A proxy server is a handy computer system that acts as a mediator between two applications, such as between a user’s computer and the internet. Thanks to this server, you will have access to private browsing and can apply content filters.
Using a Raspberry Pi and Privoxy, a handy web proxy, you can set up a simple proxy server. With the help of this guide, you can easily set up this useful computer system.
What Is Privoxy?
Privoxy is a popular proxy that was first released in 2001. It gives users increased control over their browsing. This system offers a wide variety of benefits, such as:
- State-of-the-art filtering features.
- Customizable so that it can fit the needs of the user.
- Versatile configuration.
- Modifying data on web pages
- Ad blocking
As you can imagine, this system is ideal for setting up a proxy server with your Raspberry Pi. So let’s get into the technique.
How To Use Your Raspberry Pi As A Proxy Server With Privoxy
If you want to complete this activity, you will need the following pieces of equipment:
- A Raspberry Pi: Though this may seem obvious, you will regardless need a Raspberry Pi. More modern models will be best suited to this tutorial.
- An ethernet cable or Wifi connection: An ethernet cable is a great tool for a Raspberry Pi, as it provides your device with an internet connection. Using an ethernet cable will ensure that your connection is stronger, but a Wifi connection should suffice.
- Micro SD card: A micro SD card is a cheap yet convenient tool that allows you to store and transfer information.
- Power supply: This will ensure that your Raspberry Pi has power. As you can imagine, this is pretty important!
If you want to set up this Raspberry Pi proxy server, you simply need to:
- Ensure that your Raspberry Pi has been set up, such as plugging in the ethernet cable.
- Install Privoxy. To do this, run this simple command: sudo apt install privoxy.
- Once you have installed this Privoxy software, you may need to alter your configuration. Otherwise, you may not transform your Raspberry Pi into a proxy server.
- Firstly, you must adjust the software so that it accepts external connections. To modify the configuration, use this command: sudo nano /etc/privoxy/config.
- You will now be met with a file, which will consist of large amounts of text. Find a portion of this text that begins with “listen-address”. You will need to adjust the numbers after this text with the line “8118”.
- Save your edit. To do this, press the control key (Ctrl) and the X key. After that, press “Y” followed by the enter key.
- After you’ve made these changes, it’s a good idea to restart the Raspberry Pi system. This will ensure that your changes have been kept.
- Next, to utilize Privoxy, you will need to change your browser settings. The technique that you use will be slightly different for every browser.
- Generally, you will need to go to the settings section and search for connections. From there, ensure that a proxy connection is enabled.
- After the proxy configuration has been enabled, you must provide details about your Raspberry Pi. Namely, you will need to enter the Raspberry Pi’s IP address.
- Next, enter the following address: http://config.privoxy.org/.
- If this has been successful, you will see a message informing you that the connection has been enabled. If not, you should go back and ensure that your details are correct.
- Once you’ve received this confirmation message, you can begin using your Raspberry Pi as a proxy server by using Privoxy. As a result, you can experience the advantages that this setup provides.
- If you want to change the Privoxy settings, click “view & change the current configuration”. Press “Edit” to alter the settings individually.
What Are The Benefits Of Proxy Servers?
Now that you know how to set up this system, you may be wondering what advantages it has to offer. Though some of these features were mentioned earlier, here are just some of the ways in which a proxy server can prove fruitful:
- Content filtering. This feature is fantastic for employers, as it can be used to filter what online content employees have access to.
- There are often reduced loading times when using a proxy server.
- You can hide your IP address. Instead, the IP address of the proxy server will be registered in place of your device’s IP address.
- You will have access to restricted content, such as geo-blocked websites. Because your IP address is blocked, you will have wider access to restricted online material.
- They provide you with increased privacy.
- Using the system you can filter out potentially harmful websites, which will protect your device. For instance, if you know a website that features malware, you can use the server to block it.
- Referred to as caching, your computer can store copies of the web pages that you regularly frequent.
- As these instructions show, it can be quite simple to set up a proxy server. You don’t need to be a computer genius to follow these straightforward steps.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Do I Need A Proxy Server?
This is a question that only you can answer. After all, some people will benefit more from a proxy server than others so it really depends on what you’re looking to accomplish.
Can Linux Support A Proxy Server?
Yes, you can use your Linux to support a proxy server. Squid is a popular proxy software for Linux.
As this guide demonstrates, you can easily set up your Raspberry Pi as a proxy server. As a result, you can experience the numerous advantages that this system has to offer, such as masking your IP address.
So if this sounds appealing, why not give this method a go? You could end up with a phenomenal proxy server that’s powered by your Raspberry Pi.
- The Best Raspberry Pi Christmas Gifts - December 2, 2023
- Introducing The Raspberry Pi 5 – Everything We Know So Far - October 6, 2023
- Connecting A Color Sensor To A Raspberry Pi Or Arduino - September 21, 2023